Move over, syrup, it’s time for a citrusy and boozy upgrade! We’ve transformed our original Cardamom French Toast into a variation of a classic French Suzette, complete with orange juice and Grand Marnier. However, if you’re looking for an alcohol free version, simply swap the Grand Marnier out for two more tablespoons of orange juice. While this dish is traditionally served as a dessert, it also makes for an impressive addition to any brunch table!
French Toast Suzette
- 1 loaf challah bread, cut into ½ slices
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tbsp orange zest
1) Grease a Suvie pan with butter and add the sliced challah loaf to the pan.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together 4 eggs, ½ cup heavy cream, ¼ cup orange juice, 1 tbsp orange zest, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, and ⅛ tsp kosher salt. Pour custard over challah slices. Cover with foil and load into the bottom of your Suvie.
3) Add 2 tbsp Grand Marnier, ½ cup orange juice, ¼ cup brown sugar and ⅛ tsp kosher salt to a second Suvie pan and stir. Load the pan into the top of your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: Broil at 500°F for 40 minutes
4) Halfway through the broil, whisk the butter into the sauce. Return the pan to the top zone of your Suvie and continue to broil.
5) After the cook, remove the pans from your Suvie and stir the remaining orange zest into the sauce. Remove foil from french toast and return pan to the bottom zone. Broil 2-3 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crisp, watching closely.
6) To serve, divide french toast between plates and top with suzette sauce.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 693, Total Fat 36.9g, Total Carbohydrates 72.5g, Total Sodium 477.6mg, Total Protein 15.1g