This slow cook mac and cheese recipe couldn’t be easier to prepare and requires no simmering, draining, or fussing. A gentle stir at the end of cooking is all that’s required to finish the dish. If desired, the peas and ham can be substituted for an equal amount of roasted vegetables, chicken, or corn kernels.
Note: Be sure to use a block of monterey jack cheese and shred it at home instead of buying it in pre-shredded bags; the pre-shredded cheese often has anticaking agents that can cause the finished sauce to split.
Ham and Pea Mac and Cheese
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 8 oz shredded monterey jack or colby jack cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 8 oz ham steak, cubed
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
1) In a Suvie pan, stir together 8 oz macaroni, 12 oz evaporated milk, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder, 2 tbsp butter, 2 oz cream cheese, 8 oz shredded cheese, 1 ¼ cup water, ½ tsp kosher salt, and ¼ tsp ground black pepper, ensuring pasta is submerged. Insert into the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 1 hour, 30 minutes
2) After the cook, remove pan from Suvie and stir to incorporate (pasta may be a bit sticky, but will eventually break up). If needed, add up to ¼ cup hot water, 1 tbsp at a time, to achieve desired consistency. Stir in peas and ham. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3) Mix together panko breadcrumbs, 1 pinch kosher salt, and 2 tsp olive oil in a small bowl and sprinkle over mac and cheese. Return to Suvie and broil 5-8 minutes, or until golden brown, watch closely to avoid burning. Remove from Suvie, divide between plates, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 540, Total Fat 28g, Total Carbohydrates 42g, Total Sodium 950mg, Total Protein 28g.