Fragrant, rich, and meaty, this lamb stew is brimming with flavor. Gamey lamb can stand up to lots of spices, which is why we’ve included a blend of chili powder, cumin, and coriander to flavor this delicious dish. Using fire roasted tomatoes in place of standard diced tomatoes is an easy way to add additional flavor without any extra work. Served with a side of basmati rice, this meal is one the whole family will love.
Lamb Curry with Basmati Rice
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 (14 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, optional
1) Season lamb all over with kosher salt and black pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the lamb and sear for 1-2 minutes per side, or until well browned. Transfer lamb to a Suvie pan.
2) Add the sliced onion to the skillet and cook until softened and browned, about 10-12 minutes (reduce heat as needed to keep onions from scorching). Add the garlic, ginger, chili powder, cumin, and coriander, stirring constantly for 1 minute until softened and fragrant. Transfer onion mixture to the pan with the lamb.
3) Add 1 can tomatoes, ½ tsp salt, and 1 cup water to the pan, stirring to incorporate. Place plan in the bottom zone of Suvie, input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on High for 2 hours
4) Place 1 cup basmati rice and 1 tsp cumin seeds in a Suvie rice pot (black handles). Cover pot with lid, and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Rice, Long Grain, 1 cup
5) After the lamb has cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper. Fluff rice with a fork and divide between bowls with the lamb curry.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 530, Total Fat 16g, Total Carbohydrates 44g, Total Sodium 750mg, Total Protein 50g.