Sirloin steak tips are an economical cut of beef that can be transformed into a five-star dish with a little attention and care. Sirloin steak tips often have a fair amount of intramuscular fat and do well when cooked to medium or medium-rare. Sous viding to 130°F and then finishing in a hot skillet or over a hot grill ensures the meat develops a tantalizing char on the outside while guaranteeing a perfectly cooked interior. Serve with your favorite sides. Looking for a BBQ sauce recipe? Our How-To Guide has three different types for any occasion.
New England BBQ Steak Tips
- 1 lb sirloin steak tips
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, plus extra for searing
- ⅓ cup bbq sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1) Pat 1 lb steak tips dry. In a small bowl, stir together 2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp vegetable oil, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper.
2) Rub mixture all over steak tips then vacuum seal.
3) Place steak tips in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the bottom zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide at 130°F for 1 hour
Top Zone: Sous Vide at 130°F for 1 hour
4) Once the steak tips have finished cooking, remove the pan from your Suvie and pour off the water. In a large bowl, stir together the BBQ sauce and apple cider vinegar.
5) Sear steak tips in a pan or on the grill.
- If using the grill, allow the grill to heat over high for 5 minutes then oil grates and sear steak tips for 1-2 minutes total, flipping meat constantly until browned.
- If searing indoors, preheat a cast-iron skillet with 1 tsp vegetable oil until smoking. Add steak tips and sear for 1-2 minutes, flipping meat constantly until browned.
6) Transfer seared steak tips to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch pieces.
7) Transfer steak tips to the bowl with the BBQ sauce, stirring to coat.
8) Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 240, Total Fat 9g, Total Carbohydrates 11g, Total Sodium 257mg, Total Protein 25g