Looking for an elegant dessert with few ingredients and minimal prep required? You’ve come to the right place, because this dead simple orange olive oil cake couldn’t be easier. We use classic vanilla box cake mix for this recipe, but imbue it with the bold flavors of olive oil, orange, and turmeric. You can iterate on this recipe by using different types of citrus in place of the orange. Grapefruit or pomelo would taste especially good. Note: our preferred brand of cake mix is Betty Crocker.
Orange Olive Oil Cake with Turmeric Glaze
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp orange zest, plus ½ tsp, separated
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
1) In a large bowl, whisk together 3 large eggs, ½ cup olive oil, 1 cup water, 1 tsp orange zest, and ½ tsp almond extract until smooth. Add the vanilla cake mix and stir until just combined.
2) Spray 2 Suvie pans with cooking spray. Divide batter evenly between the pans. Place pans in Suvie, input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes
Top Zone: Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes
3) While the cakes bake, whisk together 2 cups powdered sugar, ¼ cup orange juice, ½ tsp orange zest, and ½ tsp ground turmeric until smooth.
4) Once the cakes are done baking, remove from Suvie and allow to cool to room temperature in the pans. Once cooled, run a knife around the edges, transfer to a serving platter, and pour glaze over the top. Cut into pieces and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (12 servings per recipe): Calories 340, Total Fat 12g, Total Carbohydrates 56g, Total Sodium 340mg, Total Protein 3g.