The port city of Trapani, located on the far western edge of Sicily, is known for its tomato-based pesto. Unlike Ligurian pesto, made with pine nuts, Sicilian pesto utilizes almonds, one of the island’s many delicacies. Use Sicilian almonds for this recipe if you can find them, but if you can’t, any toasted, blanched almond will work. Busiate pasta, a Trapanese speciality, is often paired with this pesto, but it can be hard to find, so we have included gemelli or casarecce pasta as possible substitutions. The tomatoes in Trapanese pesto add a welcome tanginess and juiciness that make this dish so delicious that you may never go back to the Liguarian version – maybe.
Pesto alla Trapanese with Pasta and Tomatoes
- 1 lb cherry or grape tomatoes, divided
- 4 oz busiate, gemelli, or casarecce pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup packed basil leaves
- ¼ cup toasted blanched almonds, Sicilian if possible
- 2 oz grated pecorino cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1) Place half the cherry tomatoes in a Suvie pan and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie. Place pasta in a starch pan and insert into your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 175°F for 30 minutes
Vegetable: 0 minutes
Starch: 16 minutes
2) While the tomatoes cook, combine garlic, basil, and almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 12 times, scraping down the sides with a spatula halfway through.
3) Add the tomatoes and pecorino cheese, pulsing to incorporate, about 10 times.
4) With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and set aside at room temperature in a large bowl.
5) After the cook, remove the pasta from your Suvie and transfer to the bowl with the pesto, stirring to incorporate.
6) Broil tomatoes until blistered, about 10 minutes. Divide pasta between plates, top with tomatoes, and garnish with extra pecorino.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 560, Total Fat 29g, Total Carbohydrates 57g, Total Sodium 3020mg, Total Protein 17g