This slow cooker recipe takes much of its cues from the classic Spanish dish patatas bravas. With patatas bravas, potatoes are pan fried before being drizzled with a combination of sauces: a garlicky aioli and a spicy red pepper sauce. In this recipe, potatoes and tender pieces of pork are slow cooked together in a spicy red pepper sauce and then finished with a tangy lemon aioli. The resulting dish is savory, tangy, and delicious.
Puerco Bravo (Spicy Spanish Braised Pork and Potatoes) with Lemon Aioli
- 2 lbs boneless pork butt or shoulder, cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup diced roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 lb small yellow potatoes, halved
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup cooking sherry
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1) Pat pork dry with paper towels and season all over with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, carefully place pork into the skillet and sear until browned, about 1 minute per side.
2) Divide garlic, onion, peppers, potatoes, crushed tomatoes, sherry, paprika, and crushed red pepper between two Suvie pans. Nestle seared pork into the sauce and insert pans into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook Low for 4 hours
3) In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, and lemon zest until blended. Keep aioli refrigerated until ready to serve.
4) After the cook, remove pans from your Suvie. Divide pork and potato mixture between 4 bowls and drizzle with aioli. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on Low for 4 hours.