We love mustard-based barbeque sauce for its bright piquancy and tangy pop of vinegar. In this recipe we slow cook chicken thighs in the mustardy sauce until pull-apart tender. We shred and serve the chicken on a pillow of creamy cauliflower with a side of slow cooked bell peppers. You can use store bought or homemade mustard-vinegar bbq sauce. At the store look for “Carolina style” bbq sauce; if you want to make your own, try this recipe.
Pulled Mustard Chicken Over Creamy Cauliflower
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 1 1/4 lbs
- ¾ cup mustard-vinegar bbq sauce
- 2 large red bell peppers, stemmed seeded and sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus 1 tbsp, separated
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
1) Season 4 chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place in a Suvie pan with ¾ cup bbq sauce, turning to coat in the sauce.
2) In a second Suvie pan, stir together 2 sliced red bell peppers, 2 tsp olive oil, and ½ tsp salt. Place pans in Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours
3) Pour ½ cup water into the bottom of the Suvie rice pot (black handles). Place 1 head cauliflower florets into the Suvie starch strainer and set it inside the rice pot. Cover with lid and place inside the Suvie Starch Cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings
Steam, 30 minutes
4) After the chicken has finished cooking, remove pan from Suvie and shred chicken with 2 forks.
5) Remove cauliflower from Suvie Starch Cooker and transfer to a blender or food processor with 1 tbsp olive oil and ¼ tsp salt. Puree until smooth, about 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
6) Divide cauliflower between plates, top with chicken and red bell peppers, and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 380, Total Fat 12g, Total Carbohydrates 36g, Total Sodium 520mg, Total Protein 33g.