Creamy, rich risotto hails from the north of Italy where it is traditionally served a first course. Milan has its own unique version flavored with saffron which can be served with osso bucco as a main course, or served without meat as a starter. Fragrant saffron imparts not only a sweet, grassy flavor to the risotto, but also its signature vibrant yellow hue. When the risotto is first removed from the Suvie it will appear dry, but slowly stirring in the warm broth will give it the creamy consistency we all know and love.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, the shallot, garlic, olive oil, and salt can be sautéd in a medium skillet over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes, instead of broiling in Step 1.
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth, warmed, divided
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
1) Stir shallot, garlic, olive oil, and ¼ tsp salt together in a Suvie pan. Insert into your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
2) Remove pan and stir in arborio rice, 1½ cups of chicken broth, saffron, and white wine. Return pan to your Suvie, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour and 30 minutes
3) Remove pan from your Suvie and slowly stir in the remaining 1½ cups warm chicken broth. Continue stirring until risotto is creamy, about 60 seconds.
4) Stir in unsalted butter and parmesan cheese until smooth. Divide risotto between bowls, garnish with extra parmesan, and serve.
Note: If you would like to make this recipe in Suvie 1.0, insert pan into the top zones of Suvie, fill reservoir, and set to Slow Cook on High for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 480, Total Fat 20g, Total Carbohydrates 60g, Total Sodium 620mg, Total Protein 18g