This low and slow cooked pork shoulder is rich, savory, and subtly sweet from an ample amount of fresh oranges. Adding whole pieces of orange adds a welcome bitterness from the orange peel in addition to the citrusy sweetness of the juice. After slow cooking, the pork is broiled to develop some dark browning and additional flavor. We spoon the pan liquid over the pork, but you can boil it down on the stovetop if you want something closer to a gravy like consistency.
Slow Cooked Citrus Pork Shoulder
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 ½” cubes
- 1 orange, cut into eighths
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 large lime, halved
- 1 ½ cups jasmine or basmati rice
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
1) Season 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder with 1 tsp kosher salt and divide between two Suvie pans. Divide cut orange, ½ tsp red pepper flakes, 2 tsp soy sauce, 4 garlic cloves, ½ cup orange juice, and 2 cups water between both pans. Place pans in Suvie, input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 4 hours
Top Zone: Slow Cook High for 4 hours
2) Pour 1 ½ cups rice into the Suvie rice pot (green handles) with ¼ tsp kosher salt. Place the pot lid on top of the pot and place pot in the Suvie Starch cooker, ensuring pot is centered on the hot plate. Close lid, enter cook settings for long grain rice, fill reservoir, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Starch Cooker Settings:
Rice, Long Grain, 1 ½ Cups
3) After the pork and rice are done cooking, remove pans from Suvie. Pour liquid from pans into a bowl and return pork to Suvie. Broil for 12 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking.
4) Fluff rice with a fork and divide between plates. Remove pork from Suvie and season with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Season pork to taste with salt and pepper. Divide pork between plates, spoon some reserved liquid over the pork, and garnish with cilantro just before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (6 servings per recipe): Calories 460, Total Fat 19g, Total Carbohydrates 41g, Total Sodium 500mg, Total Protein 30g.