Soothe that sweet tooth with some classic sugar cookies. This recipe follows the traditional method for making sugar cookies, but instead of cutting out shapes, we opt for an easier to manage sheet of cookies. This method allows for more even cooking, resulting in consistent, semi-soft, and absolutely delicious sugar cookies. Feel free to improvise with your decorations, topping your frosted cookies with sprinkles, tinting the frosting with food coloring, or a combination of both.
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 8 tbsp softened butter, plus 4 tbsp, divided
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 oz powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- ¼ cup sprinkles
1) Place 8 tbsp softened butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add ½ cup granulated sugar and beat for another 2 minutes until well combined.
2) Add 1 large egg and 1 tsp vanilla extract to the bowl and whisk until just combined. Replace the whisk with the paddle attachment.
3) In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, ½ tsp baking powder, and ¼ tsp of salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Start mixer on low, gradually increasing the speed to medium. Mix until the dough is well combined, about 5 minutes.
4) Line a Suvie pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease with cooking spray. Transfer the cookie dough to the prepared pan and gently press into the pan to form an even sheet. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5) After the dough has rested, remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap, and place the pan in the bottom zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes (for Suvie 3.0, Bake at 300°F for 35 minutes)
Top Zone: None
7) After the cook, remove the pan from your Suvie, and let the cookies cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
8) While your cookies cool, place 4 tbsp softened butter, 8 oz powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on low until thoroughly combined and a little crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add milk, 1 tbsp at a time, and continue to whisk until the frosting is smooth and forms stiff peaks. Set the frosting aside until you’re ready to decorate your cookies.
9) Carefully remove the cookie sheets from the pan and spread the top with frosting. Cut the cookie sheet into bars and decorate with colorful sprinkles.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 437, Total Fat 18g, Total Carbohydrates 65g, Total Sodium 207mg, Total Protein 4g.