This delicious fish recipe is easy to prepare and quick to make. We use tilapia filets, which are a perfect blank canvas for our rich homemade herb butter, and they can stand up to the broiler after they have been sous vide. The herb butter is endlessly adaptable based on whatever herbs you have on hand. We loved tarragon when we tested this recipe any leafy herb will work. Be sure to top the tilapia with the herb butter while the fish is still hot so that the butter can melt and the herbs can aromatize.
Note: Save any leftover herb butter for grilled meats, vegetables, or toasted bread.
White Fish with Herb Butter over Spinach
- 2 tilapia filets, 6-8 ounces each
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 cups packed spinach
- ¼ cup (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp minced fresh herbs such as tarragon, chervil, parsley, cilantro, basil, marjoram, or oregano
- 2 tsp lemon juice, or white wine vinegar
1) Pat 2 tilapia filets dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. Vacuum seal with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place vacuum sealed tilapia in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and place in the bottom one of Suvie.
2. Place spinach and 2 tbsp water in a Suvie pan and place into the top zone of Suvie. Input settings and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Sous Vide 120°F for 30 minutes
Top Zone: Steam for 5 minutes
3) While the fish cooks, prepare the herb butter. Ensure the butter is soft and malleable. If not, microwave for 10 seconds on 50% power to soften. In a small bowl, stir together 4 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp minced herbs, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper
4) After the fish has finished cooking, remove all pans from your Suvie. Remove tilapia from vacuum bags, and pat dry. Pour off water from the pan and place a greased Suvie roasting rack inside. Place tilapia on the rack and return pan to Suvie. Broil fish for 10 minutes, or until the tilapia begins to flake.
5) Divide spinach evenly between plates, drizzle with olive oil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place broiled tilapia filets on top of the spinach and immediately top with herb butter.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 530, Total Fat 40g, Total Carbohydrates 11g, Total Sodium 764mg, Total Protein 41g