Tender, earthy wild rice is paired with garlicky, honey-kissed, acorn squash in this show stopping salad. Vibrant and verdant arugula adds a nice peppery bite with tart pomegranate arils providing balance and a subtle crunch. The vinaigrette is cooked right along with the roasting squash, and later drizzled over the finished salad, providing an easy-to-accomplish roasted garlic flavor. We love this salad served chilled or warm, as an entree or side salad.
Wild Rice and Acorn Squash Salad
- 1 orange
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 acorn squash, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 cups baby arugula
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
1) Cut away the peel and pith from the orange. Using a knife, cut between each membrane and remove the orange segments. Set the segments aside on a plate, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve the salad. Squeeze as much juice as possible from the remaining orange into a medium bowl.
2) Whisk olive oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper into the orange juice until blended.
3) Divide squash wedges between two Suvie pans and drizzle with the dressing. Place the pans in the top two zones of your Suvie. Place the wild rice in the starch pan and insert into the bottom right zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook
Low, 2 hours
Starch: 50 minutes
4) After the cook, remove the starch pan from your Suvie and set the rice aside to cool slightly. Broil the squash for 7 minutes or until lightly caramelized. Once broiled, remove the squash from your Suvie and set aside to cool slightly. Reserve the remaining dressing, in your Suvie pans, for drizzling over the finished salad.
5) Divide arugula and rice between 4 plates. Top the salads with acorn squash wedges, orange segments, pomegranate arils, and scallions. Drizzle with reserved dressing before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 433, Total Fat 18g, Total Carbohydrates 67g, Total Sodium 306mg, Total Protein 8g