Calabria, located at the tip end of Italy, consists of soaring mountains and miles of ocean coastline dotted with towering cliffs and sandy beaches. The proximity to the ocean translates into a diet rich in seafood. Swordfish, in particular, is a mainstay of Calabrian cuisine. This recipe is a nod to swordfish alla ghiotta (gluttonous swordfish), which is popular in both Calabria and Sicily, and is packed with tomatoes, capers, anchovies, onion, and olives. Our version omits the olives to let the capers and anchovies sing, but you could add a third of a cup green olives to keep it traditional.
Note: If you would like to schedule this and do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute the ingredients in Step 1 in a medium skillet over medium heat until softened, about 8 minutes.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 anchovy filets, drained, rinsed, and minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 (6 oz) swordfish filets
- 1 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1) Combine 1 tbsp olive oil with onion, garlic, anchovy, and red pepper flakes in a Suvie pan. Insert pan into the top left zone of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2) Season swordfish with salt and pepper and vacuum seal with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Place swordfish in a Suvie pan, cover with water, and insert into the top right zone of your Suvie and cover with water.
3) Add ½ tsp salt, capers, and cherry tomatoes to the pan with the onions, stirring to incorporate. Fill reservoir, input settings, and Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 130°F for 30 minutes
Vegetable: 15 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
4) After the cook, remove swordfish from vacuum bags and set aside. Broil tomatoes for 10 minutes.
5) Divide swordfish between plates and top with cherry tomato mixture. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 430, Total Fat 26g, Total Carbohydrates 12g, Total Sodium 1220mg, Total Protein 38g