Transport yourself to a late summer evening in Italy with this deliciously melty take on Caprese flavors. Insalata Caprese, or Caprese Salad, originated in the 1950s on the Italian island of Capri and is traditionally made with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, olive oil, and basil. In this recipe, we’ve rounded out the plate with some chicken and pasta to bump up this appetizer to a fully satisfying meal.
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 oz spinach, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breast (4 servings)
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz fusilli pasta
- 6 oz pesto sauce
- 2 oz fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 oz red pepper flakes
1) Combine spinach with 6 oz mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl. Cut a pocket into chicken breast and stuff with mozzarella and spinach mixture. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper, then vacuum seal (here’s our DIY vacuum sealing guide). Place chicken in a Suvie pan and load into upper right cooking zone. Cover with water.
2) Place cherry tomatoes in another Suvie pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Load into upper left cooking zone.
3) Put pasta in the starch pan and load into bottom right cooking zone.
4) Fill reservoir, enter cook settings and set to Cook Now or Schedule.
My Cook > Multi-Zone Settings
Protein: 155 degrees, 1 hour
Vegetable: 10 minutes
Starch: 10 minutes
5) After the cook, remove chicken breast from Suvie pan, pat pan and chicken dry, and return chicken to pan. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over the chicken. Return chicken to Suvie and broil chicken and tomatoes for 10 minutes, checking halfway through to see if pans need to be rotated.
6) During broil, toss half of the pesto with pasta in a large bowl until evenly coated.
7) After broiling, remove chicken and tomatoes from Suvie. Divide pasta and tomatoes between plates, top with a chicken breast and extra pesto. Garnish with fresh basil and red pepper flakes.