You’d be hard pressed to find a more formidable food duo than chocolate and peanut butter. The sweet creaminess of the peanut butter and the subtle bitterness of chocolate pair perfectly with one another. In this recipe we’ve utilized our favorite chocolate cake recipe, which is made with stout beer for a little extra bitterness. Our dead-simple peanut butter frosting comes together in 6 minutes. Finish your cake off with a sprinkling of chopped peanuts for a little extra crunch.
Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- ¾ cup stout beer
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 oz commercial creamy peanut butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts, to garnish
1) In a large saucepan, heat ¾ cup stout beer, 6 tbsp butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, and ½ cup cocoa powder over medium heat until butter is melted. Cook for 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly until sugar has dissolved. Remove pan from heat and let cook slightly.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and ½ tsp kosher salt.
3) In a large bowl whisk together ⅓ cup sour cream and 1 egg. Add stout mixture, whisking to combine. Add flour mixture and stir until incorporated.
4) Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray and line with parchment. Transfer batter to prepared pan and insert pan into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Slow Cook High for 1 hour
5) While the cake bakes, combine 1 tbsp honey, 4 tbsp unsalted butter, 3 oz creamy peanut butter, ½ tsp vanilla, and 1 pinch kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat together on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes.
6) Reduce speed and slowly add ¾ cup powdered sugar, increase speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes more, scraping down the bowl as needed.
7) Remove cake from Suvie and allow to cool completely in the pan. Remove cake and top with frosting. Sprinkle with ¼ cup chopped peanuts. Cut into pieces and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings per recipe): Calories 570, Total Fat 31g, Total Carbohydrates 69g, Total Sodium 190mg, Total Protein 6g.