This is a bold, smoky chowder that marries all our favorite aspects of other popular chowders: a creamy broth, the sweet snap of corn kernels, a hint of brine, and overtones of smoke. Tinned sardines, rich in calcium and Omega-3s, are a sustainable and supremely easy source of protein. If you’ve overlooked sardines in the past because of their assertive fishiness, you’ll find that this chowder dials down their strong flavors. Most supermarkets will carry smoked fish alongside other tinned fish, and if you don’t find sardines, it’s fine to use another smoked variety like haddock or mackerel.
Note: If you would like to schedule this meal, but do not want to wait for the broiler to cool before refrigerating, saute reserved sardine oil, onion, celery, smoked paprika, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp black pepper in a large skillet over medium heat until softened, about 6 minutes, instead of broiling in Step 1.
Corn & Smoked Fish Chowder
- 1 (4 oz) tin smoked sardines in olive oil, drained and roughly chopped, plus 1 tbsp oil from tin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large red or yukon gold potato, cut into ½” pieces
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (8 oz) bottles of clam juice, or 2 cups fish stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
1) In a Suvie pan, stir together sardine oil, onion, celery, smoked paprika, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp black pepper. Insert pan into top zone of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Do not fill reservoir before broiling.
2) After the broil, add sardines, potato, thyme, bay leaf, clam juice, and cream to Suvie pan, stirring to incorporate. Insert pan into top zone of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 4 hours
Starch: 0 minutes
3) After the cook, remove pan from Suvie and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide chowder between 4 bowls and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 322, Total Fat 13g, Total Carbohydrates 40g, Total Sodium 539mg, Total Protein 12g