This isn’t your typical wonton soup. Rich in umami and in beneficial bacteria, miso stars here in a light broth made with lemongrass and savory shiitake mushrooms. A trip to an Asian grocery will yield all of these ingredients and even, if you’re lucky, the time saver that is pre-sliced, frozen lemongrass. Don’t hesitate to buy the whole package of dried shiitake mushrooms; there are countless ways to use them, starting with Suvie’s recipes for Hot & Sour Soup and Chawanmushi. For more traditional miso soup, you could omit the wontons and add cubes of tofu to the finished broth, or make your own stove top version.
Lemongrass Wonton Soup
- ½ cup sliced lemongrass (from 3-4 stalks)
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, rinsed well
- ½ tsp brown sugar (optional)
- 12 frozen wontons, any flavor
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ cup miso paste
- 2 tbsp sliced scallion greens (optional)
1) In a Suvie pan, combine lemongrass, dried shiitake mushrooms, and brown sugar with 4 cups water; insert pan into top zone of Suvie. Place frozen wontons into a starch pan in a single layer and insert pan into lower right zone of Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook & Starch Settings
Low, 2 hours
Starch: 15 minutes
2) In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, and miso paste; set aside.
3) After the cook, remove pans from Suvie. Pour lemongrass broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl; then stir miso paste into broth. Pick shiitake mushrooms out of strainer, slice, and add to broth. Discard lemongrass.
4) Carefully remove wontons from starch pan and divide between 4 bowls. Pour broth into bowls, sprinkle with scallion greens, and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 183, Total Fat 6g, Total Carbohydrates 23g, Total Sodium 1466mg, Total Protein 11g