Spring risotto with asparagus and peas is a classic for a reason: slowly simmered arborio rice makes the ideal canvas to highlight all the fresh bounty of the season. In this recipe we cook the asparagus separately from the risotto before combining them just before serving. We use Suvie’s strainer insert to elevate the asparagus as close to the broiling element as possible. While not required, this step helps to get a little more char on the exterior of the asparagus without overcooking it.
- ¾ cup arborio rice
- 3 cups warm chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 6 oz asparagus spears
- ½ cup fresh spring peas
- ½ tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 tbsp minced fresh mint
1) In a Suvie pan, stir together arborio rice, 2 cups warm chicken broth, 1 tsp olive oil, and ¼ tsp salt. Insert pan into the top of your Suvie. Fill reservoir, input settings, and cook now or schedule.
My Cook > Slow Cook Settings
High, 1 hour and 30 minutes
Starch: 0 minutes
2) After the cook, remove pan from Suvie and slowly stir in remaining 1 cup warm chicken broth. Continue stirring until risotto is creamy, about 1 minute. Return pan to Suvie to keep warm.
3) Set a starch strainer in an empty Suvie pan (optional). Arrange asparagus over strainer and drizzle with remaining 1 tsp olive oil and season with salt. Insert pan into the top of your Suvie and broil for 10 minutes or until browned. Remove from Suvie and cut into 2-inch lengths.
4) Stir peas, lemon zest, and mint into risotto and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide risotto between bowls. Divide asparagus over risotto and garnish with additional mint.
Nutritional Information per serving (2 servings per recipe): Calories 670, Total Fat 14g, Total Carbohydrates 121g, Total Sodium 1240mg, Total Protein 15g