Herbaceous za’atar is the ideal spice blend to perk up canned chickpeas. This dish can be served as a side dish with chicken or add a sous vide egg to make transform it into a filling vegetarian entree. We serve our spiced chickpeas over creamy full-fat Greek yogurt, but whipped ricotta or even seasoned sour cream would also taste great.
Za'atar Chickpeas with Greek Yogurt
- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp, divided
- 2 tbsp za’atar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1) In a large bowl, stir together 2 cans of rinsed, drained chickpeas, 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp za’atar, ¾ tsp salt, and ½ tsp ground black pepper. Transfer chickpeas to a Suvie pan and insert into your Suvie. Input settings, and cook now or schedule.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Roast at 400°F for 35 minutes
Top Zone: Roast at 400°F for 35 minutes
2) While the chickpeas roast, prepare the yogurt. In a large bowl whisk together 1 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp olive oil, and ¼ tsp salt until smooth. Spread yogurt over the bottom of a serving platter.
3) Once chickpeas are done cooking, season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon chickpeas over the yogurt and serve.
Nutritional Information per serving (4 servings per recipe): Calories 270, Total Fat 11g, Total Carbohydrates 31g, Total Sodium 620mg, Total Protein 15g.