These buttery, crumbly shortbread cookies are irresistibly delicious. Brown butter and fresh sage add multifaceted layers of flavor. Perfect with a cup of tea mid day or as a sweet treat after a meal, these cookies will be your go-to recipe. Substitute thyme or rosemary for the sage if you’d like. Be sure to let the brown butter cool completely before proceeding with Step 3.
Brown Butter & Sage Shortbread
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp minced fresh sage
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp table salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
1) Brown the butter following this guide, and then transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Allow butter to cool to room temperature (no higher than 75°F). Spray a Suvie pan with cooking spray and line with parchment.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 tsp minced fresh sage and 1 cup all purpose flour; set aside.
3) Once the butter has cooled, add ¾ cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, ½ tsp table salt, ¼ tsp baking soda, and ¼ tsp baking powder to the butter and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
4) Turn off the mixer and add the flour mixture. Mix on low for 1-2 minutes until combined. Transfer dough to prepared pan and press into an even layer. Place pan in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5) After 30 minutes, place pan in the bottom of Suvie, input settings and cook.
Suvie Cook Settings
Bottom Zone: Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes
Top Zone: None
6) Remove pan from Suvie and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before lifting out and cutting into pieces.
Nutritional Information per serving (15 servings per recipe): Calories 140, Total Fat 8g, Total Carbohydrates 16g, Total Sodium 80mg, Total Protein 1g.